CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Jayna Story

Jayna is 12 days old today. And tomorrow is my actual due date. And I'm just now getting around to writing about my birth experience. Blogging is the kind of thing that is no longer a priority when you have a newborn...

I'd say that overall, my experience was...rough. I had a rough time. Nothing went as planned. I had to be induced which means lots of drugs. My pitocin IV began at 8:20 am. I did okay with no pain medication until I was about 5-6 cm dilated. And then I was in pain...an indescribable pain. And I asked for the epidural. I received the epidural at around 4:30pm. By 7:30 pm I was in double the pain that I was in at 5-6 cm...and I was only 6 cm. dilated by then. I was redosed and the pain disappeared for an hour or so. After an hour, the epidural began to not work again and I thought death was near. I was in so much pain. The RNA came back, but I was already 9cm dilated by that time and he couldn't give me anymore epidural medication. He did give me a strong dose of something else through my epidural pump that was supposed to numb me from mid-abdomen down. It did so until about 9:00 pm...half way through my pushing. After one strenuous push, I realized that I could move my toes and that I could feel my feet. And my thought was, "Uh-oh...that ain't good." From then on out I felt EVERYTHING. I felt it when Jayna's head got stuck under my pubic bone. I felt her head just staying there...half way out.

Why did her head get stuck? Well, her umbilical cord was draped over her shoulder and she wouldn't come out!! I remember beginning to cry at the very end and saying repeatedly to Chris, "I can't do this. I'm so tired and it hurts sooo bad. I just can't do it..." After 2 uses of a vacuum, a few good strong pushes, and my doctor yelling at me that yes, I could give birth to this baby because I didn't have a choice, Jayna Madison was born...at 9:53 pm. She weighed 8 lb. 7 oz. and was 20 inches long.

So, 12 days later...would I do it again? Um...ask me in a year. But probably not. I love that little girl like nothing else in the world, but I can't imagine going through that again. Not at this point.

So, it was rough to say the least. But I got such an amazing gift at the end...


Approximately 10 minutes old



An emotional moment between Mom and Jayna

Dad and Jayna bonding

Feeling a little better...

Dad and Jayna ready to go home

I'd like to say thank you to everyone who supported us throughout the pregnancy and who came to see us at the hospital and at home afterward. Thank you to my doula, Terry. You were an outstanding support person. Thank you Nana and Nanna M for everything. Thank you Doc for being great. And...last but not least, thank you Chris. I wouldn't have made it through labor without you. You are such an amazing person...and a great daddy. I love you.

Farewell Forty Weex followers. I hope you all enjoyed reading as much as I did writing...

Stay tuned for new and exciting things...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had such a rough time! But Jayna is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!!