CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'm a big fat liar.

So, there are no 27 weex pictures. I lied. But, in my defense, this past weekend was the weekend from HELL!! That being said, I will have 28 weex pictures by the end of the weekend.

Friday night it began to storm. Bad. And alot. I live right on the line between two counties. I live just north of one county that got 9 inches of rain in about 12 hours. Yes, 9 inches!! The county that I live in got less than that, but still enough to flood soooo many roads, creeks, rivers, fields, retention ponds, houses. There was a house about 1 mile from my house that flooded past the windows. It is a ranch-style house and the water was up past the windows of the house.

My house did not flood. My backyard had a small pond in it for a few hours, but it quickly receded when the rain stopped at about 1pm. Chris and I tried to leave our house around noon on Saturday only to realize that every road that could take us in any direction was flooded. The only thing accessible to us was one gas station. This lasted until around 5pm on Saturday. At around 6pm, we found one way out and took advantage of it!! But only to get some Mexican food and to go to the grocery.

If anything, this has put things into perspective for me. My dog Oliver is deathly afraid of storms. I slept for approximately 3 hours from Friday morning to Saturday afternoon. The dog is a nut!! He won't lie down. He won't go hide. He won't let you hold him. He won't do anything accept pant, drool and paw at you. I woke up at one point in time on the couch at about 5:30am with a paw on my face. Yes, on my face. I opened my other eye only to see Oliver standing there wagging his tail, panting, drooling, with his paw on my face! I was in a miserable mood for most of the day. I bitched constantly about him keeping a 7-month pregnant person awake all night and about the fact that the storming JUST WOULDN'T STOP!! And then we left the house. And I saw people's houses under 3 or more feet of water. And then my situation seemed minute, tiny, on the verge of non-existent. I COULD have been awake all night because I was trying desperately to save my belongings from rising water. Seeing all of the damage definitely made me think about things.

And what if I was 9 months pregnant and flooded in? What if I couldn't get to the hospital? Somehow that became a huge concern for me on Saturday. I have no idea why. I'm not even close to delivering this baby. Pregnancy brain sure does a number on you. You forget things you need to remember, remember things you thought you forgot, worry about things that will most likely never happen and lose the ability to make any type of rational decision. What a great experience...this pregnancy...

0 comments: